[chirp_users] Problems Connecting Baofeng UV-5R to Software

Jim Kennedy
Mon Sep 2 23:57:47 PDT 2013

I'm running Chirp on OS 10.8.4, trying to program a bunch of radios (Baofeng UV-5R) for our Civil Defense volunteer CERT communicator groups.

I am aware that there are some issues with certain cables.  So far, I purchased two cables (from different vendors), most recently Wouxum-US.

In all cases, I am unable to connect to any of the radios using CHIRP (Mac) or the Windows (XP) with the Baofeng code.

I've used the drivers with both that came from the Wouxum site.

In both Mac and Windows, the software comes up and presents itself.  When I attempt to read the radio, after a pause, I get a failed to connect message.

Can you give me direction as to how best to fix this?