[chirp_users] BF-888 Mac problems

Robert Terzi
Thu Oct 24 15:00:08 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Ken Kimari wrote:

> however after programming the BF-888 and I shutdown CHIRP my Mac
> becomes unresponsive to keyboard input.  Computer will not shutdown
> or restart.  I have to do a hard shutdown on the computer to reset
> everything.  When I program the UV-82 the computer behaves itself
> when I close CHIRP and I encounter no problems.

I would check and replace the device driver for your USB serial cable.

Have you tried disconnecting the cable while your Mac is hung to see if it
recovers?  Also if you have another machine, see if your Mac is still
pingable while it is in that hung state.

An application should not be able to cause the operating systme to hang or crash.

Device drivers run inside the operating system kernel and have direct
access to the hardware and can cause crashes and hangs.

(note: The radio specific code in CHiRP is referred to as a driver as well
but it's not a operating system *device* driver, it's part of an application.)

There may be something about the chirp code for the 777/888 that triggers
a latent bug in the USB device driver, possibly some edge condition which
is why you don't see it with the UV-82.  The 777/888 code might need to
be fixed but it shouldn't be able to cause the Mac to hang.

Hope this helps,
--Rob