[chirp_users] Error importing stock Marine Ch

Jim Unroe
Sun Oct 20 05:06:52 PDT 2013

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Greg Smith <greglsmith66 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I get this error when I try to import the stock Marine channels into my
> BF UV-5RE+
> "There was an error during import: list index out of range"
> Behind that error box is another box that says "Please wait Preparing
> Memory List...."
> I open chirp, read from radio, choose Radio, Import from Stock Config,
> choose Marine VHF Channels and that's when the error occurs.
>
> I've used this method to load the NOAA, MURS and FRS/GMRS channels with
> out issue.
>
> I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit.
>

> Thx
>
> Greg

Greg,

Thanks for the CHIRP image file from your radio. That helped solving this
mystery.

The problem is that memory channel 0 in your radio is corrupt. The first
byte is 0x04 when normally all 16 bytes should be 0xFF for an empty memory
channel. CHIRP tries to let you know there is a problem with memory channel
0 by greying out Loc 0 and reporting "ERROR" in the Name column.

The NOAA, MURS and FRS/GMRS stock config files all default to importing the
list into Loc 1 so they don't encounter any problems. The Marine VHF
Channels stock config file defaults to importing the list into Loc 0, so
CHIRP crashes when reading the corrupt Loc 0 data because many values of
Loc 1 are out of range.

This fix is fairly simple. Here is how I did it.

To fix channel 0 from the radio keypad:
1. tap the [VFO/MR] until VFO (frequency mode) is selected
2. tap the [A/B] key until the top display line is selected
3. key in: [MENU][2][7][MENU][0][0][0][MENU][EXIT]
    ; the above programs the current values of VFO A into channel 0
4. key in: [MENU][2][8][MENU][0][0][0][MENU][EXIT]
    ; the above erases channel 0
5. read from the radio and import the Marine VHF Channels

Step 3 above is required because the radio already considers channel 0 as
being empty. Performing a menu 28 (DEL-CH) on an "empty" channel does
nothing.

To fix Loc 0 from CHIRP:
1. read from the radio
2. click on Loc 1 with the mouse (the Loc 1 row will become highlighted)
3. type [CTRL + C] (copy)
4. click on Loc 0 with the mouse (the Loc 0 row will become highlighted)
5. type [CTRL + V] (paste)
6. press the [Delete] key
7. import the Marine VHF Channels