[chirp_users] CHIRP and the Yaesu FT-857D

Antoon Rubbens
Fri Oct 4 12:26:15 PDT 2013

Hello Marco,

Thank you very much for this quick answer! Grazie mille (-;  (We spent this
years summer holiday in Lecco)

I read that part of the manual (page 118) some weeks ago, but I didn't link
it to my current problem today....
I'm going to try it this weekend.

73 de PA2AR (Antoon).

Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 10:53:59 +0200
From: IZ3GME Marco <iz3gme.marco at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] CHIRP and the Yaesu FT-857D
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>

Hi Antoon
the correct operation sequence to download from ft857 is:
- switch on the radio while pressing both <- > buttons to push it to
clone mode
- prepare chirp for download selecting menu Radio - download from radio
and setting the com port and radio type then press OK
- start send on the radio pressing C button
download (should) then start immediately and both radio and chirp show
the operation via a progress bar.

For upload the sequence is:
- switch on the radio while pressing both <- > buttons to push it to
clone mode
- prepare chirp for upload selecting menu Radio - Upload to radio and
setting the com port (do not press Ok yet)
- start receive on the radio pressing A button
- press Ok in chirp dialog to start upload

You can find some info on the clone procedure at the end of ft857
manual, chirp simulate the second radio: the receiving one when you
download and the transmitting one when you upload.

I also must destroy the myth that the CAT speed have to be set in any
way: in clone the ft857 the serial communication always take place at
9600 and there's no menu that can influence the protocol in any way.

73 de IZ3GME Marco