[chirp_users] puxing px-777 anomalies

eric oyen
Fri Oct 4 01:58:20 PDT 2013

hello there,

ok, I have tried both the stable release version that came with ubuntu 13.04 and the daily build produced yesterday.

both aren't reading my radio correctly.

on the stable release, only every 3rd memory location (frequency) is visible. On the development version, it shows values that are supposed to be in other fields (such as PL tone being in the frequency field, etc.).

unfortunately, I can't seem to make sense of how its arranged (I use a screen reader here as I am blind) and even in Braille, it displays much the same.

I need to be able to program this radio for some public service events and I can't do so in either OS X or windows (using the windows binaries provided by the manufacturer is equally as useless under jaws). Chirp there just displays a blank application screen. Under OS x, it displays some of the information, but none of the memory channels or other fields in that table.

I really would like to be able to use this package, but it seems to be beyond my reach right now. Also, as I am not a coder (my skills are in systems administration, security and database management), I can't just go in and change how the thing operates.

lastly, I don't have any method by which I can capture a screen output on the linux machine to show what is going on. I also don't have a lot of money to spare (as I live on disability), so sending a radio to be tested for development is out of my reach (and I only have the one radio).

Now, considering that I am a ham and also blind, I am really in a very small population group. Still, I would consider it a great favor if someone *(anyone) would help to make this project more accessible for those like me (there are several thousand blind hams in the US alone). Now I have tried getting hold of the manufacturer in china, only to be completely ignored (I have 2 strikes against me already: 1. I am american, 2. I am blind). so, how about it? anyone up to the challenge?

-eric