[chirp_users] Beginner's guide and a loaner radio

Milton Hywatt
Tue Nov 26 19:26:49 PST 2013

All good points. Apple does include Python but it's not been updated
in years and way too old for Chirp. I'm not sure it it is a default install either.

We all go through some learning curves to perfect our experience with Chirp.
Most are cable oriented from my observation. And it can be a bit of a shock for
some to see all those numbers and box ticks when you do succeed to download
your temp and sit there and wonder what to do with it. That's where these guides
come in. When written properly they can walk you with little effort through the
programming process. And usually it only takes one or two successful reads and
writes and you feel like you are the king of the hill and what to get into to the list
like me and blab your butt off even though you still know very little :-)

Good luck, Milton

________________________________
 From: Dave Nathanson <KG6ZJO at nathanson.org>
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Beginner's guide and a loaner radio

As a newbie,
[] I found it odd that I needed to install the Python runtime even though I'd heard that Mac OSX includes Python.
[] I was initially baffled about transfer errors, until someone pointed out the trick for getting my radio into the correct mode for transfers.
[] And of course getting the correct cable driver was a little scattered even with the FTDI cable, because the factory site has more than I needed.

Best,
Dave Nathanson
KG6ZJO