[chirp_users] Beginner's guide and a loaner radio

Mike Agner
Tue Nov 26 17:51:20 PST 2013

Today, Bruce MacAllister wrote:
===========================
Yes, I will. I did technical writing for pay and will do it as a volunteer
now-retired engineer.  I have a Kenwood TM-D700 and TH-F6A and the the MPC
FX and Chirp files for them.  I am new to Chirp and so see it from a newbie
perspective with all the confusion inherent in just starting.
===============================

Thanks vy much for the offer, Bruce - however please hold off for now. I
have to set up a mailbox to keep your radio from being stolen (around
here that's not an uncommon occurrence). Once
I have that done, I'll email you off-list.

Since you mentioned that you are a newbie to Chirp (me too) I wonder if
you would discuss what you found difficult in using the software for the
first time. That way as the Guide
gets built, we can at least try to address at least some of these so
that others don't run into the same issues.

Here's one that had me stumped - I know you can use the stored
configuration files to load certain freq ranges into the radio (if it
supports them). But here's a question I never found the
answer for - How can you append that data at the end of data you've
already loaded, or perhaps put the configuration file in first, then the
unloaded contents of your radio? Does it simply overlay the data,
or push it down further in the editor?

Mike

---