[chirp_users] Programming guide for beginners

Mike Agner
Fri Nov 22 14:18:08 PST 2013

I think the wiki that already exists could be quite a resource for a
programming guide for beginners. It would take some effort of each of
the members that has a particular radio, but it could - and likely
should - be done

Looking through YouTube is all fine and good but if you do a search like
was suggested recently (such as 'program uv-5r chirp') you're going to
come up with a lot of non-related stuff - even stuff that doesn't have
anything to do with the uv-5r or the chirp software

If we had a single page for each radio that listed the various YouTube
videos and other tricks, it would go a VERY long way to making such a guide.

Some questions that could be asked might include;

- What is the SKU of the OEM cable for this radio (put another way, what
is the correct model number of the original manufacturer's cable)
- What do you need to do to put the radio into a programming mode (as I
understand it, some radios you have to go through a menu to do this. It
would be helpful if this were documented)
- Known issues from importing data and how to fix them
- Any known programming issues unique to this radio, and how to fix them

That's just scratching the surface. No doubt there are other such
questions that people have had that have come up over and over again and
should be documented in a single spot

The real power becomes evident if each model number that's found in the
front page becomes a link to that radio's page.  Those of you familiar
with the RadioReference wiki know how easy it then becomes to look up a
particular model.

Anything that's common to all radios could simply point to that page -
for example the model support page could be a 'common' page for each
radio so that someone can quickly look up what
features for that radio could be programmed.

I'm unfamiliar with Redmine, but if I could build the listings (by
radio) then someone can change the listing to Redmine's language, and
we'd be on our way.  I know some of you are RadioReference
members, so you know the amount of work I did in the early years of
building the wiki there - it started with barely 100 pages, and grew to
over 4000 when I resigned the admin status.  You may
also know that, along with the author of the software, I wrote the
FreeScan user guide, so I have some experience in writing software
guides of this type

I don't think it would be too tough to gather this stuff together - if
the membership is willing to contribute to the effort. I could be point
for this, but someone would need to do the Redmine code once enough
information was accum'ed. With Xmas coming (and maybe folks getting new
radios) this project is timely as well as informative. This would,
obviously, be subject to whomever is the sysop/admin of the web page,
but to me, it's well worth considering. I don't doubt that we have a lot
of newcomers out there (myself included, at least insofar as the
software is concerned) so whatever we can gather in a single spot is
worthwhile.

Comments?    Mike

---