[chirp_users] Programming Cables (was Re: Interface for Yaesu 8800)

Robert Terzi
Thu Nov 21 17:57:17 PST 2013

> Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction to an interface I can
>build to communicate chirp with a Yaesu 8800 mobile radio.

There is a cable guide on the Chirp wiki that has information on buying as well
as building cables for some radios.  It needs more contributions.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/CableGuide

> Are the 409shop cables genuine PL-2303 or FTDI?

I don't think 409shop or any of the direct from China sites sell FTDI cables.

If a cable seems inexpensive (< $15-20) it's got one of the counterfeit prolific
chips that have driver issues with Windows 7 and later, especially 64 bit.
Mac OS also seems to require some experimentation to find a driver that works.

At this point I don't know if there is such as thing as genuine Prolific PL-2303
that is worth anything since Prolific has intentionally crippled the drivers
to try to detect the counterfeit chips.  I believe they are trying to push OEMs
to using some new chip and just hoping to put the whole PL-2303 thing behind them.

>     409shop also has cables, which work fine for me.

At this point with all of the information out there about driver support for the
different operating systems, statements like that are really unhelpful.  It works
fine for you because you only use Linux?  Because you only use XP?  Because you've
followed the steps to pick the old driver and make sure it didn't get updated?

Please we've all wasted so much time on these cables, if you are going to recommend
that someone "save a few bucks" let them know what they (and we) are in for since
everyone seeks advice on the mailing list first.  At least give them pointers to
the miklor site.

> For a few bucks more, I got a multi-cable kit that had like 6-in-1 interchangeable
>tips that worked with my vx-2,3,6 and ft-7900 (should be same din plug as 7800/7900/8800/8900).

It's interesting that they are selling those.  You don't need to buy a USB to
serial converter for every radio.  The multi-cable kits that I could find all use
the Prolific clones.  At least one ebay seller mentioned "don't work with Win7 64 bit" ;-)

It might be worth it to buy this kit, and then replace the USB to serial converter
with an FTDI cable that winds up with the same 3.5mm TRS.

Which brings me to this question:

> So this cable has level converter built into it, or is a level converter not needed.

It depends on the radio.  Many radios use TTL signalling 0-5VDC and not RS-232 signalling
so no level converter is needed from the USB serial chips which are 5Vdc and powered
from the USB bus.

However, there are radios that do use RS-232 voltage levels, or worse use 3.3V low voltage
ttl signalling, so you better know what you are doing or you may windup blowing something
on either end of the connection.  Those nice 3.5mm TRS plugs and jacks makes it easy
to blindly play.

The cable guide on the chirp wiki would be a good place to continue collecting information
including voltage levels used for each radio.

Hope this helps,
--Rob