[chirp_users] Problem reported with Windows download?

Jim McCorison
Tue Nov 19 12:36:28 PST 2013

This is a growing problem on sites which provide free downloads and are trying to monitize the site. Bandwidth does need to be paid for, but the advertisers target download specific sites with just these kind of ads. Check out most of the large freeware/shareware/nagware sites for other examples. A site which has recently been receiving a lot of flak is sourceforge.net which has offered authors the ability to receive compensation if they allow their projects to be bundled into installers which also install crapware at the same time.  Dice Holdings, the owner of the site, receives compensation for these downloads fro the crapware purveyors.

The bottom line is that you need to read very carefully anything/everything on a site before clicking on something, especially something which is clearly designed to draw your eyeball, like a giant green arrow

Cheers,
Jim
K2SON

---