[chirp_users] CHIRP won't download from Kenwood Th-F6

Dave Nathanson
Fri Nov 15 17:17:22 PST 2013

Hey Morris, I had the exact same problem! :-) Luckily Milton Hywatt tipped me off if the CHIRP doesn't work on a Kenwood HT, to switch menu #9 ("SP/MIC JACK") to "PC" from "SP/MIC". And when you are finished programming, if you want to use a speaker/mic, don't forget to turn that setting back!

CHIRP doesn't doesn't do "upload" to Kenwood THF6A, it's even easier that that. You just download from radio, then edit it live onscreen, and any changes are immediately sent back into the radio. A little bit different than many other radio where you have to actually "upload" your changes.

Best,
 Dave Nathanson

From the Kenwood TH-F6 instruction manual:
INTERFACING TO PERIPHERALS
SP/MIC JACK
The SP/MIC jack on the transceiver can be configured to interface to various kind of the
peripherals available for the transceiver, such as a speaker microphone (SMC-32/ 33/ 34), PC interface
cable and a TNC. Access Menu No. 9 (SP/MIC JACK) and select the peripheral type from “SP/MIC”, “TNC”, and “PC”.
You can further configure the transceiver to interface to a high speed (9600 bps) TNC that requires a direct
FM modulation {below}.

SELECTING SP/MIC JACK FUNCTION
Unless you connect the transceiver to a TNC or PC, the default setting of the SP/MIC jack function (Menu
No. 9), “SP/MIC” works fine. However, if you want to interface to a different type of peripheral, configure
the SP/MIC jack function:
1 Press [MNU] to enter Menu mode.
2 Turn the Tuning control or press [ up/down] to select Menu No. 9 (SP/MIC JACK).
3 Press [ ] or [MNU].
4 Turn the Tuning control or press [ up/down ] to select the appropriate peripheral type from “SP/MIC” (default), “TNC”, and “PC”.

5 Press [ ->] or [MNU] to store the setting.
Otherwise, press [<-] or [PTT] to cancel.
* If necessary, configure and select the additional settings.
6 Press (POWER) to turn the transceiver OFF.
7 Connect a peripheral to the SP/MIC jack.
8 Press (POWER) to turn the transceiver ON.