[chirp_users] Can't Download from IC-T70A to iMac

Vincent Burolla
Sat May 25 08:43:03 PDT 2013

I recently purchased a Valley Enterprises RPC-IV8-UF cable (Icom USB OPC-478 FTDI), installed the driver and CHIRP; however, no matter what I do I cannot get the radio to download to my iMac.  Here are some specifics:

Mac OS 10.8.3
CHIRP (vers. 0.3.1)
GTK 2024010
PyGTK 2.22.0
Python 2.7.2

I click Download from Radio from the Radio pull down menu.  Then I select: /dev/cu.usbserial-AH01D7KW, Icom and IC-T70 in the radio window.  After clicking OK, some sort of cloning window flashes briefly on the screen and the error message, Failed to communicate with the radio: Unexpected response from radio appears.  Also, at this time both the green and red LEDs on the cable flash once.

I get the same response regardless of whether the radio is ON or OFF.  If the cable is not connected, I get a different error message, could not open port /dev....., which makes sense.

Right now I'm suspecting a bad cable or something wrong with my HT.  By the way, I can get the HT into the cloning mode manually, but that had no effect one way or the other.  The HT appears to be working normally in all other aspects.

I'd like to know, first of all, what pin is what on the cable's 3.5mm radio plug, and secondly, is there anything else that could possibly be wrong that I can/should check?

Thanks,
Vince