[chirp_users] win xp

Jim Unroe
Mon Mar 11 15:31:35 PDT 2013

I'm on a trip and decided to bring my laptop, programming cable and UV-5R.
I have never installed a programming software on it before. Setting it up
was not without issue, but it wasn't a big deal either.

The first thing I did was plugged in the cable to see if the usb-to-serial
driver would install. No joy. No big deal. I just went to the Miklor
website and downloaded the driver for Windows XP. Driver installed, COM4
assigned, cable working.

The next thing was to download and install the latest CHIRP daily. I
installed it and launched CHIRP. Problem. I got the dreaded..

"Application cannot run because application configuration is incorrect"

A quick google and I visited
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=5582 to get
the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package. Once it was
installed, I launched CHIRP again. Success.

I plugged in my UV-5R, selected Radio -> Dowload From Radio. The next
dialog had already correctly selected COM4 so I set Vendor to Baofeng and
Model to UV-5R and started the download. The UV-5R was read the very first
time.

Jim KC9HI