[chirp_users] hello from a new list member

eric oyen
Wed Jul 3 21:11:13 PDT 2013

That still doesn't help with the overall problem (or perhaps it might). The issue I have right now is that I would like to use chirp and can't. Its not the fault of either NVDA (screen reader for windows) or Voiceover (OS X screen reader). It appears to be a problem with the selected interface. I just tried chirp for win32 and all I got was a blank dialog and no access to any drop down menus (especially those that should work with the alt key in windows). OS X was a little better as I was able to at least access the main menus but couldn't select anything in the program itself.

This makes chirp a not very useful tool for me (or the thousands of other blind hams in the US).

what I would like to do is be able to program any supported radio without visual assistance from anyone else. Since I cannot currently do that, it makes me a bit less useful as a HAM on public service events. This also means that I am forced to wait until I can find a volunteer to help me with some tasks involving my radios. This I don't like at all.

anyway, enough of my rant. I do issue this challenge however. I challenge the Author to improve his product. make it accessible for the blind (that is easy to do from a certain point of view). It might be a lot harder for windows than for OS X.

I will give Vinux a try (again). ever since their primary developer left, it hasn't quite been the same (and some things got a bit more broken).

-eric
n7zzt