[chirp_users] works fine with Baofeng_UV-5R

Tom Hayward
Fri Jan 18 09:47:50 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM, Gary <dtx2 at wa6dtx.com> wrote:
> but does not download from radio with my FT60R (with a different cable,
> of course.  ExpertPower although in Win7 it says Prolific)
>
> Here are the conditions running under a Ubuntu derivative OS (Zorin).
>
> chirp Daily-20120111
> GTK 2.24.4
> PyGTK 2.22.0
> Python 2.7.1+
>
> And the debug log last entry is
>
> User selected Yaesu FT-60 on port /dev/ttyUSB0
> Clone thread started
> Trying again...
> Trying again...
> Trying again...
> Trying again...
> Trying again...
> Trying again...
> Trying again...
> Trying again...
> Trying again...
> Trying again...
> -- Exception: --
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/chirpui/clone.py", line 225, in run
>      self.__radio.sync_in()
>    File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/chirp/ft60.py", line 196, in sync_in
>      raise errors.RadioError("Failed to communicate with radio: %s" % e)
> RadioError: Failed to communicate with radio: Radio is not responding
> ------
> Clone failed: Failed to communicate with radio: Radio is not responding
> Clone thread ended
> --- Exception Dialog: Failed to communicate with radio: Radio is not
> responding ---
> None
>
> Beats me...acts like the magic word isn't recognized by the radio. Or
> the brand new cable is B/O.
>
> tia
>
> Gary WA6DTX

You can test the FT-60 cable without a radio. The txd and rxd lines
are tied together, so if you connect the cable and open the port with
a terminal emulator, anything you type should be echoed back to your
terminal. This will tell you if the cable itself is working, in which
case it may be a dirty or broken connector on the FT-60 causing you
trouble. If letters you type are not echoed back to the screen, you've
got a cable issue.

On Ubuntu, I use minicom as a terminal emulator.

Tom KD7LXL