[chirp_users] Baofeng UV5-R

Jim Unroe
Sat Jan 12 10:26:22 PST 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Dan Smith <dsmith at danplanet.com> wrote:

> > I really would appreciate it if you would download images from the TX
> > disabled UV-5Rs and email them to be BEFORE doing the tx lockout
> > recovery. My email address is: uv5r [at] kc9hi [dot] net
>
> That's fine, but it would probably be good to file this as a bug and
> attach those images there. That makes it easier for you, me, or anyone
> else to go back and get them from the ticket archives if we need to try
> to reproduce something a year down the road.

My mistake. I thought I was replying to a baofeng_uv5r group mesage

> > The Miklor website (see the group home page for a link) has a 'TX
> > Lockout - Recovery' procedure. It requires using the Baofeng VIP
> > programming software. The most recent versions of CHIRP should not
> > cause this to occur again.
>
> Jim, maybe we could create "fixed" images for each firmware version so
> that folks can use CHIRP to restore that aux block on their own?
> Someone on MacOS that might have been affected by this may not be able
> to run the VIP software that easily to resolve it.

This is what I had in mind. This was the solution on the Miklor website
(back when it was just BFB291 and BFB293) but the recovery files were
removed when it was discovered that the VIP software would restore the TX
function.

> Since CHIRP uploads the aux block every time (if/when the firmware
> matches), it should just be a matter of uploading that fixed image once
> to re-set those values. Might even be easier than finding the VIP
> software that matches your firmware version and jumping through the
> hoops.

 I really would like to a CHIRP solution available.