[chirp_users] Sanctimonious jerks (was: Re: Prolific update and amateur pirates)

Alan Kline
Tue Feb 26 20:27:50 PST 2013

Wow. What a lot of sanctimonious, self-centered crap. Everybody who
*might* *possibly* have anything other than an official Prolific chip is
supposed to bow down and beg forgiveness because the great AE7Q got his
shorts in a knot.

Frankly, I don't know what chip is in my cable. When I bought it I
installed the 3.2.0.0 driver from the Miklor site because that's what
was recommended at the time I installed Chirp, and because the newer
drivers weren't working with the Baofeng software. It works, and I have
no reason to suspect anything or upgrade the driver.

I had to purchase a Win8 laptop this month when my Win7 machine died.
And guess what, O Great One? The 3.2.0.0 driver works on Win8, so my
cable and CHIRP do as well.

Now, can you prove that Prolific decided not to support Win8 on certain
(probably older) chips because of counterfeiting, or are you just
throwing crap out to try to make yourself look smart? Companies drop
support for older hardware all the time. Writing new drivers for old
hardware is a business decision. Some do, other don't. That's life. Some
companies deliberately make older products obsolete in order to force
customers to buy new. Those are companies I try to avoid when I can, but
that's not always possible.

The point is, of course, that those older chips might very well have
been obsoleted by Win8 even without pirating.

Who the hell are you, Dean, to feel entitled to accuse everyone on a
mailing list of being pirates? I don't give a damn what software you've
written or how many websites you've done. Those things don't give you
the right to make unsubstantiated accusations against an entire group.
Of course, The Great One will try to claim that my pique automatically
means that I've bought pirated stuff. No, it doesn't. I think I've made
clear that I'm deeply offended when some jerk tries to accuse an entire
group of making his life more difficult in some way.

Dean, the world doesn't revolve around you. Get over yourself.

To the rest of the group: Sorry about the rants. It won't happen again,
because I'll be leaving the group. I'd been thinking about it anyway,
with the long, drawn-out threads about what a UV-5R will or won't do.
That kind of stuff had already caused me to give up the Baofeng group.
But The Great One's post made up my mind. I won't be part of any group
with Dean Gibson as a member.

As far as Win8: As I mentioned at the top of this post, I installed
3.2.0.0 on Win8, per the instructions on the Miklor site, and it works
fine. If you're in need of a new machine, don't let this issue dissuade
you from buying a PC which otherwise meets your needs. The "modern" Win8
GUI is garbage, but there are 3rd party utilities that let you boot
straight to the desktop and restore the start menu. I'd still rather
have Win7, but with the utilities I can live with 8. I can't guarantee,
of course, that any particular cable will or won't work on Win8, but the
3.2.0.0 driver does.

To everyone except Dean, 73's

Alan