[chirp_users] Prolific update and amateur pirates

Brett Bump
Tue Feb 26 19:10:46 PST 2013

I would have to agree with John.  My brother bought a couple of UV-5R's
and then bought the cable and software (wanting me to program them).  I
decided it was quite a deal and so picked up a couple myself.  I was one
of the first 2 Citrix certified installers in the state and have to say
I would be the last person to recommend you upgrade Windows (or for that
matter, run Windows at all).

Dan Smith has done a wonderful job of creating a fine piece of software
that only took me about an hour to set up (running Slackware 14.0 here).
For anyone else wanting to run Chirp, I would suggest downloading his
Live CD and using that for your settings.  Why mess up your perfectly
bad Windows machine when there is already a re-bootable solution.

As for the cable that my brother bought.  I have no idea as to the chip.
I hope it is not a counterfeit, although the software is not that good.

Run Dan's Live CD (that is the better solution).

Brett