[chirp_users] Baofeng around 900mhz - veideo

John L. Wilkerson Jr.
Tue Feb 26 07:23:20 PST 2013

Anyone can set a radio to display a frequency.  That is all it does...display.  At best, you will not get the pll to go there.   at worst...you will permanently brick your radio.  I advise any reputable software author to Not write anything to take a radio past design limits, lest someone accuse them of software that destroyed their radio.  As we well know, many Tom dick and harrys who frequent these groups have limited knowledge of how these radios really work.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Smith
Sent: 2/26/2013 9:43 AM
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Baofeng around 900mhz - veideo

> I wonder if the UV-3R radios are capable of doing the same?
>
> If one of the chirp developers want to try modifying the software, I
> can try it on my UV-3R ___

I had three vintages of UV5R on the service monitor last night. None of
them would lock up at anything much above their stated range. None of
them generated RF, nor would receive a +3dBm signal straight into their
antenna jack.

Not conclusive evidence by any means, but I tend to think that the
poster of the video is either experiencing a fluke, a weird harmonic,
or perhaps is confusing audio coming from the 2m-tuned side of the
radio.