[chirp_users] Input out of range freq channels

Jim Unroe
Mon Feb 25 15:20:11 PST 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Dan Smith <dsmith at danplanet.com> wrote:

> > Hello, I have a Baofeng uv5r. I use chirp to add channels freqüência,
> > and to unlock it. But the channel painel doesn't allowed me to input
> > freqüentes that are out of. The original range, such as 980mhz!
> > Despite chirp unlock till 1khz for me
>
> Is the UV5R even useful that high? IIRC, we chose the limit upper
> boundary to be the highest useful frequency it can be used for. If it
> is really capable of locking that high on receive, then we should
> probably make it honor the limits set by the user instead of the
> arbitrary ones we chose.
>
> Jim, do you have any input or an opinion here?

The published range of the UV-5R is currently 136-174 MHz VHF and 400-520
MHz UHF. We know for sure that the UV-5R works within these ranges. That is
currently what the CHIRP programming limits are set to.

There are hacked versions of the OEM software available that allows entry
of frequencies from roughly 100 MHz to 1000 MHz. Just because the UV-5R
accepts and displays frequencies within this range does not indicate that
it works within that range. For example, it is know that the UV-5R does not
work in the 220 MHz range. I would hesitate to expand the current limits
without some evidence that any of the expanded frequencies will work.

I have never seen any feedback from the use of this software claiming any
successful use (receive or transmit) outside of the manufacturers published
range. If anyone have information about this, please share it with us.
Another possibility would be for someone to test these frequencies and
report back which one work (receive only and/or receive/transmit). I don't
have the equipment to test this myself and I don't want to assume that
because the red TX led is on that the HT is making RF at the displayed
frequency.

Also note that CHIRP will allow you to expand the VHF and UHF band limits
on the Settings -> Other Settings menu tab from 0 - 1000 MHz. Although this
won't let you program outside the manufacturers limits using CHIRP, it
should allow you to enter out of band frequencies in the VFO for testing.