[chirp_users] some issues with recent daily biold..

Jens J.
Wed Dec 25 08:04:36 PST 2013

This may be worthwhile reading for developers:
https://developer.gnome.org/accessibility-devel-guide/3.8/index.html.en

https://developer.gnome.org/accessibility-devel-guide/3.8/gad-coding-guidelines.html.en

________________________________
 From: eric oyen <eric.oyen at gmail.com>
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:09 AM
Subject: [chirp_users] some issues with recent daily biold..

ok,
I am using this program on Linux as it isn't screen reader friendly anywhere else.

here's a couple of issues:
1. When importing from data sources, I cannot check or uncheck individual items
2. I cannot simply shift values down one channel (moving 3 to 2 , etc.).

I use Ubuntu 13 precise (LTS version) with all packages updated. I also use ORCA screen reader as I am blind. SO, any chance of changing this so it works a little more nicely?

btw, I am not the only blind ham around here that may have to use software to program a chinese radio (or even one of the others for that matter).. A lot of us (and there are quite a few thousand of us here in the US) would certainly appreciate it if the developer would address the accessibility issue on windows or OS X  (as not many of us use Linux). Those of us blind hams who do use Linux would certainly appreciate a few small changes in the interface to make it a little more screen reader (using ORCA or emacspeak) friendly.

there is an FAQ here: http://empowermentzone.com/NonvisualDevelopmentFAQ.htm

there is an entry for python scripting there that would make it a lot easier to understand (and setup for accessible UI structures..

in fact, heres the FAQ in question:

What tools are recommended for developing with the Python language?

Install Python from
http://python.org

Install the wxPython package for creating accessible GUIs from
http://wxPython.org

For Windows development, install the Python for Windows extensions at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

Also install py2exe, a package for building stand-alone executables from
http://py2exe.org

In Python, code indentation is syntactically required rather than stylistically optional. The EdSharp editor includes features that help screen reader users manage indentation efficiently, available at
http://EmpowermentZone.com/edsetup.exe

Quote/

please give this your best consideration.

thanks

Eric (n7zzt)