[chirp_users] Chirp + Baofeng UB-B5

Jens J.
Mon Dec 23 10:01:12 PST 2013

John,
I'll check for sure, but on mac, I believe this message could also be caused by using OEM drivers with counterfeit pl2303 chips, which is very common case.
The fun thing about mac drivers, is that unlike xp where you at least get an indication (error 10, etc), the fake pl2303 appear to work, install a driver, and present a port.
The key difference is that the fake pl2303 don't appear to actually send or receive any data. (Intentional on Prolific's part, this I'm sure of, judging from the way they crippled later XP drivers.)

Those having trouble and in the above scenario may wish to try out the osx-pl2303 (open source driver version) that I have recently built and packaged:
http://sdrv.ms/1g8iA2N

It will uninstall old drivers, as well as the oem driver.
You may need to option+right-click open in order to bypass gatekeeper on Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

-Jens

________________________________
 From: John LaMartina <JohnLa at usa.net>
To: 'Discussion of CHIRP' <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Monday, December 23, 2013 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Chirp + Baofeng UB-B5

Martin,
Refer to the Common Error Message section of http://www.miklor.com

Have a Safe Holiday
John K3NXU

Sent: Monday, December 23, 2013 12:15 PM
To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
Subject: [chirp_users] Chirp + Baofeng UB-B5

Just obtained new UV-B5. Works OK rf-wise.
Installed todays’s daily 20131218 for Mac. Running Mac OS 10.9.1. Python bits are installed and PL2303 driver.
Chirp loads and I can select the correct radio and port.
When I try the initial download from the new radio I get the Cloning window then
"An error has occurred
Radio did not ack programming mode.”

Any suggestions, please?

73