[chirp_users] Tuning step roadblock

Milton Hywatt
Sun Dec 8 17:11:20 PST 2013

Does the TYT do 2 Tone or 2 Tone DTMF? Our FD
does 2 tone but only two single tone frequencies.
I imagine that most fire paging consists of a combination
of single tones at different frequencies. I remember when
I was a volunteer fireman that I only had a pager. And it
received the two single tone multi frequency tones depending upon
what station was signaling. I guess you would call this STMF toning.
I'm pretty sure my Anytone AT-5888UV when doing 2 or 5 tone signaling
uses DTMF tones for both encode and decode. And that's not going to
work unless the public service entity also used DTMF signaling.

________________________________
 From: Don <kb5kwv at qsl.net>
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 8, 2013 7:57 PM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tuning step roadblock

The only Chinese talkie that I know does 2 tone decode like the fire department page, is the
TYT model TH-UVF1 like this one.
http://www.kightradio.com/TH-UVF1-Dual-Band-VHFUHF-Handheld_p_78.html

I don't have any thing in this web site, other then I have
        bought several radios from here.

Don
KB5KWV

On 12/8/2013 2:33 PM, Jim Unroe wrote:

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM, ddubois <woody2 at questiongravity.com> wrote:

>Thanks Jim, that did the trick. I did figure out what "tuning step" meant around 3am, but didn't want to write back and admit that I was still up and obsessing over it :)  I'm glad I went to bed.
>>
>>I have all my channels configured now, except for the
                  "page" channel on the Icom that I wish to emulate in
                  the Baofeng. In the Icom, the channel is muted until
                  it receives a 2-tone page signal. I can see how it is
                  set up in the Icom CS-F14 program, but I'm not finding
                  any functionality like that in CHIRP. When I click on
                  "Settings" in CHIRP, I only get a blank field. Can I
                  do this in CHIRP? I see nothing in the wiki about
                  functions like this.

>>And, perhaps similarly, in CS-F14 under Common>Set
                  Mode there is a squelch value variable that has been
                  set to 125. Is that something I need to set in the
                  UV-B5?