[chirp_users] Issues w/ getting UV-5R to communicate w/ CHIRP on a Mac

Colby Teller
Wed Dec 4 01:08:42 PST 2013

All,

I'm relatively new to radios, and definitely new to the list - I throw
myself at your mercy.

I'm trying to program a set of Baofeng UV-5Rs to use the Motorola
frequencies used by a few other race teams we run with.  I'm using a Mac,
OSX 10.8.5, and have already installed the PL2023 USB-Serial driver
successfully (I believe).  I obtained the driver from:
http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=229&pcid=41  I've also
confirmed that the USB-serial driver appears to be installed correctly, as
described here:
http://plugable.com/2011/07/12/installing-a-usb-serial-adapter-on-mac-os-x

I now see '/dev/cu.usbserial' in the Port field when attempting to download
from the radio (which I didn't see before installing the driver).  However,
when I actually attempt to download, the 'Cloning' modal shows for a few
seconds w/o progress, then I see the "Radio did not respond" error.  The
USB cable is an "official" Baofeng cable that I received with the radios
from a trusted reseller, and is definitely seated correctly.  I've tried
using different USB ports, turning the radio on/off, restarting several
times, etc. but just cannot get the radio to talk to my Mac.

I'm really hoping you guys can help; we have a race this weekend and if I
can't get the comms working, I'm in a world of crap.

Thanks,

Colby