[chirp_users] Clone/Live radio mode support in CHIRP

Dan Smith
Mon Dec 2 17:34:46 PST 2013

> To me, from a newcomer's perspective, this is a serious issue.
> Picture someone picking up a radio for the first time (never had one
> of these in their lives), and they come across this table from the
> link in the wiki. How are they supposed to understand all that
> without some sort of legend?

For what it's worth, I've never thought that CHIRP nor its documentation
should be geared at someone who has no idea what they're doing.

> There's nothing to suggest floating a mouse over anything
> for a description. Perhaps that should be added to the sentence that
> introduces this table as an explanation. It would be better than
> nothing.

Again, it's generated from the code automatically. It's meant for
developers and interested people that know what they're looking at.

> I was thinking of pointing to this table in the individual radio
> articles so a newcomer could find out the basics about the radio -
> including whether this radio supported clone, live or file (what is
> that?) processing for updating their radio's memories. And since it's
> updated with each build, maintenance would be a snap. Now I'm not so
> sure that's the best way to go here.

Agreed, which is why I said in my previous mail that it's likely to be
used by documentation-writers, in addition to the folks it was intended
for (developers). I think you said you're looking to help out by
creating (or starting the effort to generate) the user-level
documentation. I feel that the table is likely to be helpful for you
(well, tomorrow's table with Tom's update), but it's not necessarily
what should be presented to the end-user.

--Dan