[chirp_users] Step setting on radios

Jim Unroe
Fri Aug 30 11:58:59 PDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Pat Anderson <anderson5420 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Trump me if I am mistaken, but the usual step value in the US is 5 mhz.
>

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 9:14 PM, Mike Morrow <mike at primecareercollege.com>wrote:
>
>> The step is the channel spacing amount.  You can set this on many radios
>> from 25 to 2.5 MHz.  When you turn a tuning know in VFO mode, this is the
>> amount the radio changes frequency by.  ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> If the radio’s step is too high, it will not allow entry of some
>> frequencies and will do something (variable by radio) to go to the next
>> higher or lower frequency which complies with the step value you have set.
>> ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Mike****

This may be different for other radios, but ror the radios that I program
with CHIRP, the value in the STEP setting is irreverent. You just key in
the frequency that you need to program into the radio. The value in the
STEP setting is only required to be set to any particular value when
programming in-the-field (without using programming software).

Also, the STEP value in them is KHz, not MHz.