[chirp_users] UV-5RA problem

Jim Unroe
Fri Aug 16 07:30:04 PDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM, CWA <cwa at qso.com> wrote:

> I see others are able to us Chirp with the UV-5RA but I cannot and I can
> only guess why.****
>
> I also have the UV-3R and I have no problem with it. When I select which
> radio to program the listing for UV-5 is all there is for the UV-5 series.
> I have the proper programming cable, turn the radio on, then try to
> download from the radio, and it tries but times out and I am told the radio
> is not responding.****
>
> I am running Chirp under Ubuntu and I keep everything updated, including
> ‘daily-build’ for Chirp. One thing bothers me though; when I look at the
> “about” and check the revision level of Chirp, it shows 20130802 (8/2/2013)
> yet when I try to update, it says I have the latest version. I am not sure
> about that one.****
>
> Anyhow, the bottom line is my Chirp works great with the UV-3R but not
> with the UV-5RA, using the proper programming cables of course. Same
> computer, same software, different programming cables.****
>
> Any clue to what is wrong with my set-up?****
>
> ** **
>
> Warren Andreasen – K7CWA****
>

> Warren,

There is no difference between the UV-5R and UV-5RA (or any off the other
variants) electrically so the UV-5R selection in CHIRP is the correct one
for all of them.

A common problem with the UV-5R is that the user does not get the
programming cable fully plugged into the radio. See the Miklor.com Errors
and Error Messages page: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-ErrorMess.php

Another common problem is that because of the USB-to-serial chip that is
used in most of the programming cables available for the UV-5R, an older
driver is required for the cable to function. The guide to verify and
install the correct driver is also on the Miklor.com Drivers and USB Cables
page: http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

This good news is that if the driver is the issue, changing to the correct
driver for the UV-5R programming cable should still work for the UV-3R
cable.

Good luck and 73,