[chirp_users] Offset Freq Always 00.000 Baefeng UV-5R

Jim Unroe
Wed Apr 24 18:54:59 PDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Jeremy J Barbouttis <vk2mjm at icloud.com>wrote:

> No matter what I do, the Offset Frequencies always come out as 00.0000 on
> the radio, despite setting them up and showing correctly on Chirp, with
> relevant shift.
>
> Anyone know why that might be?
>

> Cannot change the manually either?
>

> Thanks
>
> Jeremy

Hi Jeromy,

That is the way the UV-5R works. The only place shift direction and offset
has any meaning in the UV-5R is in VFO/Frequency mode. In MR/Channel mode
the receive frequency and the transmit frequency are stored in each memory
(so no shift direction or offset are required).

CHIRP takes the receive 'Frequency', 'Duplex' setting and 'Offset' that
were entered by the user and uses them to calculate the transmit frequency.
So when the channel data is uploaded to the radio, CHIRP sends the receive
frequency and the transmit frequency since that is what the radio uses.

Also note that when in channel mode tuned to a repeater channel, the upper
status display indicates "+-" (not "+" only or "-" only). Once again, this
because the UV-5R does not use offsets for memory channels. The "+-"
indicates that the RX frequency is different that the TX frequency. So you
will also see this indication when a cross band channel has been selected
or when a receive only channel (TX inhibited by setting 'Duplex' = 'off'')
is selected.