[chirp_users] raspberry pi and chirp

Tom Hayward
Wed Apr 3 10:11:08 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Michael Bass <n7wlc at roadrunner.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I discovered the chirp project and wanted to use it to help debug my
> homebrew interface between a Raspberry Pi computer and a Kenwood TM-D700.
> While the code seems to work if you have a USB dongle, I had a problem using
> the GPIO UART serial port.  That port is on an odd serial device
> (/dev/ttyAMA0).  Which may make sense since the Pi is an odd bit of
> hardware.  Anyway, if you add one line of code to the platform.py file,
> chirp will recognize the GPIO serial port.  Without finding any serial ports
> on the computer, chirp issues a cryptic message.
>
> Just before line 284 in platform.py (chirp-0.3.0) add the line:
>                        glob.glob("/dev/ttyAMA*") +
>
> I don't know much python programming so I don't know if there is a way to
> detect the hardware more specifically.  I don't think /dev/ttyAMA* is used
> much on other linuxes.  So it will probably be safe enough to add to the
> "production" version of chirp.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> 73 de Mike, N7WLC

Great find! This is similar to my very first contribution to Chirp.
You can see the diff here:
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/repository/revisions/0647f93ebdb4/diff

This was to allow the Kenwood TH-D72's usb-serial device to be
discovered by Chirp on OS X.

I can generate a patch to submit this for inclusion in Chirp, or you
could do it and then it would be credited to your name. Instructions
for submitting a patch can be found here:
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/DevelopersProcess

Tom KD7LXL