[chirp_users] Help needed, can't write to Yaesu FT-60

Tom Hayward
Thu Sep 27 11:09:48 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM, David Ranch <chirp at trinnet.net> wrote:

> I think Rob has an EXCELLENT idea there.. having a "cable test" feature
> in Chirp just to do some testing (data integrity tests, etc) would
> probably help a LOT of people troubleshoot.    If the test fails, Chirp
> could open a dialog box telling say Ubuntu people to make sure their
> username is in the dialout category, check the baud rates on their radio
> (list some common baud rates for some common manufacturers, etc).  Give
> a URL to a FAQ on bad Prolific drivers (windows, Mac, etc.)

Patches are welcome! But I'm not sure how you're thinking of
implementing this...

- A cable test as Rob suggested involves shorting two pins on the
cable--not something Chirp can do for you.
- This test will succeed regardless of baud rate.
- Chirp already reports an error on Ubuntu if permissions don't allow
opening the serial port (so nothing new needed here).

Feel free to add some Windows/OSX driver warnings to the FAQ:
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/FAQ#Cables

Tom KD7LXL