[chirp_users] how to respond on /issues/ page

Dan Smith
Tue Sep 25 16:37:48 PDT 2012

> thanks dan! yep, i can tell at a glance that the daily build covers
> exactly the frequency range of my uv6x, but not near the freq range of
> my uv6d. does this mean i shouldn't use chirp with the uv6d until this
> has been resolved? or does it just mean that channels outside the
> 'official' range won't get transferred?

I'll let Marco comment here, since he wrote the UV6 driver.

I would expect that it's just a matter of range-checking and that CHIRP
will refuse entering frequencies outside the range it thinks is
appropriate for your model. However, the way those radios work, I'd
expect no ill effects of putting in frequencies outside the accepted
range, nor would I expect the radio to not tune (or appear to tune) them.

Those are image-based radios, by the way, which means the entire memory
image is transferred every time, so there's no option to filter out
individual memories.

> and i will indeed mention this matter to my vendor (a local shop with
> very friendly owners). in fact, their ebay ad and their website are both
> wrong as to the model variant of the uv6d they were selling. i was most
> pleasantly surprised to get a model with a much wider freq range (and
> yeah, i know that isn't the bonus-without-caveats some people think it
> is) than the one they were advertising.

Right. Those radios are wide like barn doors and I expect the only
difference between the various ranges is for marketing and
type-acceptance purposes (and perhaps the antenna that ships with it).