[chirp_users] ID-880H Macintosh interconnectivity

Mike Hannibal
Thu Sep 13 17:03:22 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm new to Chirp and I'm trying to get the Macintosh talking to the ID-880H. I suspect my problems are my old Belkin USB-serial adapter.

I have some specific questions - and for clarity my OS is 10.8.1

Can you use the Icom OPC-1529R cable with Chirp and a USB-serial adapter?
If not which cable do I use - is it the Icom OPC-478UC and if so does this work without any drivers on the Mac OS? I'm not after cheap eBay cables - just reliable connectivity.
If I can use the OPC-1529R then does anyone have a USB-serial adapter which they are using on Mac OS 10.8.x with that cable which works well? If so which one?

I'm keen to get this working with the Mac - thanks to Dan and the team for the software. I don't need the "cheapest" solution here, I just need one that is reliable and known to work. I do not want to use a Windows emulator.

Just with respect to a current discussion on the list about Mac where it was suggested it is a "boutique platform" - I'm not sure that you can say that about the biggest selling laptop platform in the US for the last quarter ;)

Regards
Mike
VK3ZMH