[chirp_users] Please post

Guy Teague
Thu Sep 13 15:58:46 PDT 2012

you make some sense in places and some good points (although i don't
pretend to understand the plumbing of vmware and an 'emulated' system) and
some of your info is very useful. but i fail to understand how windows can
accept what you are calling a 'counterfeit' chip and mac rejects it.

i'm using the latest daily build (2012_0912) of chirp on both mac and
windows, btw.

it seems to me that just because the code base is the same, it doesn't mean
that code interacts with the os's the same. that is what i meant by my
caveat ' ... on my particular system'.  for example, there could be a usb
bus timing issue (my symptoms could easily indicate this) that
vmware/chirp//windows handles perfectly and mac/chirp doesn't tolerate at
all. bear in mind i'm no programmer--at least not since hp-basic and cobol
decades ago.

and yes, i own some of those clunky keyspan adaptors. this isn't my first
rodeo on connecting radios to computers! [g] also, i used to have to have
them to connect my macs to cisco console ports, so they are very useful,
but clunky and i don't think i should have to haul one out and buy a serial
cable to make this work. for that matter, i could also shut down my vm's,
unplug all my usb devices, and re-start in safe mode, but using chirp on
the mac is not worth that much work since it works perfectly in windows
emulation and doesn't seem to be very useful as a frequency management
tool--just as a backup and repository. for example, i can't find a way to
change all the power setting fields from 'high' to 'low' at once as you can
do in an application like uv6d commander by clicking the column header. for
some reason, both the uv5r and the uv6d default to high power and i spend a
lot of time setting all the fields back to low.

i do appreciate you guys trying to help, but i'm getting a very protective,
defensive tone about the software here and i guess that's understandable.
if i put hours of work into a project and it worked for most people and i
was at the mercy of hardware and flaky installs, i'll bet i'd be a little
touchy too. i troubleshoot for a living, so i do sympathize.

tks, /guy (73 de kg5vt)