[chirp_users] OT-ish: USB-only programming cables for VX-7R

Aubrey Turner
Sat Sep 8 16:45:55 PDT 2012

I have one of these:
-
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Cable-VX-170-Chipset-Windows/dp/B002YUJ1JA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1347147486&sr=8-5&keywords=vx-7r

It, indeed, presents itself as a COM port (i.e. it has a built-in USB to
Serial converter), once the proper drivers are installed.

Note that this one specifically lists that the chipset is made by FTDI
and that it works with Windows 7.  That's because most of the ones you
find on eBay use the Prolific chipset.  If it's a genuine Prolific chip,
then it will work just as well as the FTDI one. The problem is that a
lot of the ones on eBay use cloned/counterfeit Prolific chips.  Prolific
modified their drivers so that they don't work with cloned chips.
Consequently, to use these eBay cables, you often have to jump through
hoops to find and install older drivers (and also prevent Windows,
particularly Windows 7, from updating them).

I've also got some of those inexpensive cables from eBay, and have
gotten them to work, but it took some effort.  You'll see lots of people
on the various radio groups/lists complaining about the problem.