[chirp_users] Success using CHIRP to program Baofeng UV-5R Ver BFB 291

Michael Collinson
Fri Oct 26 00:51:23 PDT 2012

Hi all, with thanks to Jock, George, Dan, Alan and all who responded to my
call for help.

I was already aware that the .img file had to be downloaded from the
individual UV5R radio which would then be the template
used to program the channels and upload back to the radio as I had spent
many hours reading every post and article
that I could find on both  www.miklor.com  and
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home sites.

I visited the www.miklor.com site and obtained a copy of the program for the
291 model.

However on running this I suffered the same problem. I noticed that the
program was trying to communicate on COM Port 8.
But the UV5R was shown to be connected to COM Port10. I could not find any
method of changing the program from COM8.

I disabled the four Bluetooth Communications Ports shown as COM 3 COM6 COM7
and COM8 and reran the program.

Eureka this time I had communication.

I fired up the CHIRP program and which also connected to the radio.

So if it is of any use to others who think their radio is not communicating
with either the CHIRP program or the Baffing program
try temporarily disabling any other device that is shown using COM Ports.

I still find it strange that the Prolific USB-to Serial cable is shown
connected to COM10. and CHIRP shows that it is communicating
using COM4. Purely academic, as the respective programs work and I am able
to program my BFB 291 model.

Regards,

Mike

  _____