[chirp_users] Version of Baofeng UV-5R not supported by CHIRP?

Dan Smith
Wed Oct 24 15:57:05 PDT 2012

> I was referring to the file that you can save with all the information
> for each channel. I have both my UV-5R's loaded the same. But I could
> not make the file, load it to one, then switch radios, and load it to
> the other. I had to download the info from the new radio, before I could
> get it to load the new channel file to the radio.

Right, that's because they have incompatible firmware versions. What you
describe is sane and doable for every other radio except the UV-5R.
Effectively you have two different radio models, even though they both
say "UV-5R" on the front.

Luckily, CHIRP provides you a couple options for merging the actual
memory contents from one type to the other :)