[chirp_users] Version of Baofeng UV-5R not supported by CHIRP?

George Hale Jr.
Wed Oct 24 09:19:28 PDT 2012

I was able to successfully use the latest daily build on both my 251, and
291 versions of UV-5R. What you cannot do, is load one radio, then go to
the other radio, and load it. When you go to the other version, you need to
download from the radio, the open the file with all your saved info, and
upload it to the new radio. In other words, download from the radio, even
if you do not intend to use the file, that seems to be what tells chirp
what version radio you have.

George