[chirp_users] OT: Can't connect UV-5R+ via USB - was:Re: chirp_users Digest, Vol 47, Issue 9

Fred Erickson
Thu Nov 15 18:29:29 PST 2012

On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 13:00 -0800, Gerry Seeney wrote:
> I guess I'll add my problems to this list RE: baofeng uv-5r+ had my
> radio for a month now and have yet to get it to program via the usb
> cable. First problem was the prolific driver with the yellow ! got that
> resolved buy installing 3.2.0.0 version, however keep getting
> communication error with radio and pc. I'm beginning to formulate the
> opinion that this item is  just a piece of crap, no wonder its so
> cheap. btw, I have tried everything under the sun including emailing
> the company which has yet to respond to date
>
> Gerry Seeney

Hello Gerry,
I recently purchased 3 of the BaoFeng UV-5R+ radios with programming
cable. My laptop computer has Vista(sigh) and 4 usb ports. In my case, I
happened to plug the usb cable into the port that the computer
recognized as #4. I had to step through the connection sequence 4 times
till I hit upon the right port. You can click in the box that displays
the port to connect to and it will open up and show all ports. Took me a
try to two to realize that. No problems thereafter except that when I
switch to radio 2 and 3, I had to click the transfer to radio button
twice - it's like the software wants to confirm the radio is really
there before a write.

I don't have the radio or the computer with the software loaded with me
so the above description is from memory and not exactly correct.

You may have tried all that all ready but maybe not since it's not
obvious that you can select different usb ports.

Fred