[chirp_users] can't upload to 2820

Mike Heitmann n0so at att.net
Sun Mar 18 06:38:17 PDT 2012

> From: Brian Mury <ve7ngr at rac.ca>
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] can't upload to 2820
> To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
> Date: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 8:42 PM
> Ok, one more thing I just tried...
>
> On the desktop, I made the serial port available to a
> Windows XP virtual
> machine (using VirtualBox), uploaded my image with Windows
> CHIRP - and
> it worked!

I tested with my IC-2820 late yesterday (it's mounted under the seat in my old Dodge Dakota pickup. I'm glad I left a data cable connected  so I didn't need to dig out the radio!):

Computer: Dell XPS-1530 laptop (Duo core 2.4 GHz CPU, 4Gb RAM, Prolific USB/RS-232 adapter)

OS: Fedora 16 Linux (kernel V 3.2.9-2.fc16.x86_64)

Chirp-daily_03172012

I had no problems downloading from the radio or uploading to the radio, chirp worked as I would expect.

Then I rebooted the laptop and switched to Windows. Same computer:
Computer: Dell XPS-1530 laptop (Duo core 2.4 GHz CPU, 4Gb RAM, Prolific USB/RS-232 adapter)

OS: Windows 7 (32 bit)

Chirp-daily_03172012 (win32 version)

The Windows version of chirp worked as expected too.

... I do admit, I made a backup using the ICOM CS-2820 software before I started all of this, just to be safe. I guess it's good to "blow the cobwebs" off that part of this laptop's hard drive once in a while!

Brian, your test results with Windows in a VM are interesting... it makes me wonder if this is not a timing issue of some sort, or an issue with the Linux driver for your serial card. A test with Fedora 16/i686 running in a VM on that same machine and serial port might prove interesting.

I've got one of our club ID-800H radios here too, after church today I'll it too.

Mike, N0SO