[chirp_users] Problem Uploading on FT-897D

John Johnson
Sat Jun 9 15:45:40 PDT 2012

OK I couldn't leave it alone.......not solved but new interesting
data........

I ran "process explorer" and "portmon" from the Microsoft
sysinternalssuite.  They do not show any program or process using the
serial port when the error occurs (radio immediately displays "error"
after A button pushed to upload when in clone mode). Appears there is
not another application capturing the serial port and changing levels.

I even disabled the modem (COM3) just in case......no change....shot in
the dark

I connected the USB to Serial cable to one of the Dell USB ports and it
assigned COM6.  I plugged the serial cable from the radio on the end and
everything works great (upload and download).  Looks like it is not a
system software problem.  I am starting to think I have a hardware
problem on COM1 serial port.  But it downloads fine and the HRD suite of
products run fine through it.  Wish I had all of the test equipment
(scope, etc) I threw out when I downsized and moved after retiring.
Wait a minute, I think I have a logic probe out in my toolbox......

Oh, to only go back to the days when I could simply use the system
maintenance panels to displays signal levels and logic prints to track
down what was happening <sigh>.

Suggestions welcome.......