[chirp_users] Problem Uploading on FT-897D

John Johnson
Fri Jun 8 13:06:01 PDT 2012

I felt I should clarify so someone reading this in the future does not
get confused.

My Dell Notebook has a one serial port (COM1) with a connector (COM3
goes to an internal modem).  When I connected a cable directly from the
serial port to the FT-897D the radio would not upload memory settings,
although it would download.  As a matter of fact the radio would not
stay in UPLOAD mode (it immediately displays "ERROR) when button A is
pressed on the radio.  If I disconnect the serial cable from the PC the
radio stays in UPLOAD mode (displays "receiving").  This shows the radio
is not the problem.

My ASUS notebook has only USB ports so I had to use a USB to serial
converter to test.  The cable I use does in fact have a Prolific chip
(authentic, not a copy, verified by Prolific) but that is not germane to
this test.  This cable worked fine to both download and upload.  I used
the same serial cable as above to connect from the USB/Serial cable to
the radio (so it is not a cable problem).  As a point of interest this
same cable and chip have functioned correctly for everything EXCEPT
running HRD (supposedly due to the extremely high load HRD places on the
connection).

Ergo, the serial port on the Dell Notebook is causing the problem.  I do
not know if it is either a hardware, firmware, or software problem.
Some day I will have sufficient curiosity and time to dig into it (I
retired after 42 years in the computer field).

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

John