[chirp_users] Problem Uploading on FT-897D

John Johnson
Wed Jun 6 08:00:08 PDT 2012

I am able to download the memory settings from the FT-897D with no
problems.  However, even if I simply try to upload the received data (no
changes) it fails with an "ERROR" message on the Ft-897D and the upload
box on CHIRP disappears immediately.  This occurs using multiple
versions of CHIRP including the 03/30/2012 (chosen since multiple
posters say it works) up to the latest daily build.

When I click on the CHIRP upload box on the PC screen first and then
immediately push the button marked A (upload) on the FT-897D the radio
screen displays "RECEIVING" very briefly and then displays "ERROR".  If
I select button A on the radio first it immediately displays "ERROR".

I am using XP PRO with a serial port connecting to the radio.  I have
verified the com port and radio is correct (it just downloaded OK) and
that the port is set to 9600 baud.  The cable and connection runs HRD
and DM780 with no problems so I am assuming the cable is OK.  I suspect
some arcane setting that I am unable to find.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can determine the cause of the error?

Thank you.

John