[chirp_users] side by side configuration is incorrect

Dan Smith
Fri Feb 10 21:00:44 PST 2012

> I was hoping that you might know what is missing.  I know it is a Windows
> error but the only program that has this error is Chirp.  The laptop was
> wiped and everything is reinstalled.  I am not sure if I am missing
> something that Chirp needs.  That link that you had suggested installing C++
> but I never had that before or on the XP computer where Chirp works.

I've never seen it before, but I'm not a Windows person (like, at all).
You shouldn't need to install any dependencies to run chirp, but there
are basic things on the system that are expected to be there and
working, like the C/C++ runtimes. If those are broken on your system,
then you'll have issues.

The runtimes are used by the python environment, which is bundled with
chirp, but not authored by me, so I don't really have visibility into
what the connections are. In looking around, I see very few instances
(relative to the rest of them) related to Python. However, this one may
be relevant if the system is 64-bit:

   http://bugs.python.org/issue4284

You might try installing the 32-bit MSVC++ 2008 redistributable package
linked in that bug to see if that resolves the issue. If not, I don't
think there's much I can do for you without more information...