[chirp_users] chirp linux

Dan Smith
Sun Dec 30 06:44:10 PST 2012

> I tried to install the new build on Ubuntu 12.04 and was unsuccessful.
> I downloaded this iso image and burned it to disk then tried to install
> via disk. no luck.  Then I copied all files into a chirp dir and even
> tried to install from the Terminal.  No Luck

The ISO you're thinking of is a LiveCD, not a Linux installer. If burned
properly, it is a full bootable copy of Linux separate from your regular
system that you must boot your computer to.

CHIRP has always been native on Linux, and is especially easy on Ubuntu.
Just follow the instructions on the download page to install the
Development Builds PPA and the package:

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download#Ubuntu-PPA

> Even follower the instructions on chip web site via terminal.
>
> Guess i am half brain dead as every attempt was unsuccessful. Any
> pointers as to why?

Without any information about what you did or what happened, I can't
offer any pointers. Please do this at a terminal per the instructions
and reply with what you find:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:dansmith/chirp-snapshots
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install chirp-daily