[chirp_users] Attention please, users of the Ubuntu-hams PPA

Steve Conklin
Fri Nov 25 13:24:41 PST 2011

What follows is a message recently sent to the Ubuntu-hams mailing list.

I know there are some people on this list who use the Ubuntu-hams PPA, and we're
trying to reach as many people as we can about this change.
Steve AI4QR

QST QST QST.  ACTION IS REQUIRED BY YOU if you use the ubuntu-hams PPA
software archive! . . .

In order to comply with Launchpad's recently improved PPA security
policy[0] we have removed the ubuntu-hams PPA and replaced it with a new
PPA owned by a new Launchpad team "ubuntu-hams-updates":
    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-hams-updates/+archive/ppa
This will allow us to properly control uploads to the PPA, and therefore
much stronger protection from malware interference[1].

Our open access "ubuntu-hams" team will continue to exist at:
    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-hams
and will continue to host our mailing list, but will no longer host a
PPA software archive.

You do not need to join the new "ubuntu-hams-updates" team (in fact you
cannot do so), but you must now remove the old defunct PPA and add the
new PPA to your system software sources[2].  To do so, paste these
commands into a terminal window:

    sudo rm -f /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu-hams-ppa-*
      # type your password when prompted

    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-hams-updates/ppa
      # press ENTER when prompted

    sudo apt-get update
      # wait for the "$" prompt to reappear

The orange Update Manager icon will likely now appear in your icon bar
at upper right; use it to install the latest updates from the new PPA
and the main Ubuntu archive.

We apologize for the inconvenience.  If you have any questions about the
new ubuntu-hams-updates PPA, or the migration process, do not hesitate
to ask.

73 de KA6MAL es AI4QR

 -Kamal Mostafa KA6MAL
 -Steve Conklin AI4QR

[0] Launchpad has mandated that large teams like ~ubuntu-hams (226
members and growing) should better control who can upload and modify
their PPA software archives.

[1] We have never experienced any malware interference with our
ubuntu-hams PPA; this is a preventative measure.

[2] If you don't update your software sources, no harm will occur...
your existing ubuntu-hams packages will remain installed on your system,
but you won't get any further updates to those packages.