[chirp_users] FT-60 / Chirp 0.1.12 / Ubuntu 11.04 Fails to write

Dan Smith
Sun Nov 6 13:49:32 PST 2011

> I get persistent failure to write to radio on an FT-60 with Chirp 0.1.12
> on Ubuntu 11.04.

Does it ever work, or just often fail? Have you tried the latest daily
version?

I have found that the FT-60 seems to be extremely sensitive to the
position of the programming cable plug. On all of the FT-60s I have
programmed (and I've done quite a few), I had to exert lateral pressure
on the plug in one direction to get it to make consistent contact.
Otherwise, I would get sporadic communication while writing. Any chance
this is your issue?

The error you're hitting means that CHIRP wrote the "clone start" header
and the radio did not ack it. If the radio immediately shows "error" on
the screen, then it means the radio is seeing *something* but not what
it expects (perhaps due to a faulty connection). If it doesn't
immediately go to error, then it means no communication is occurring.