[chirp_users] Chirp Data transfer

Ken Simpson, W8EK
Mon Jul 4 16:17:33 PDT 2011

I realize there are electronics in the USB cable.  I was just
referring to any cable changes, criss crosses, or possible places for
error.

I got the USB to VX-3 cable on e-bay.  It was listed as being
specifically for the VX-3, but as you say, anything is possible.

Thanks for the pin out info.  I did not have that.  From that diagram,
it would look like the VX-3 might be trying to send data to the
speaker, and that the data/clone connection is likely connected to the
Mic/PTT, which might be lose enough to ground to not permit echo in
hyperterminal when plugged in.

Looking at the USB/VX-3 cable from e-bay, it looks like the distance
on each side of the center pin to the outside is almost the same as
the diameter of the center pin.  In the picture you sent, it looks
like the distance on each side is less than half of the diameter of
the center pin.  It also appears to be somewhat cone shaped. My guess
at this point is that is where the problem is. The cable simply is not
going all of the way in.  Obviously, that would account for all of the
problems!

Looking at the "real serial cable" used with the VX-5 years ago, the
insulation diameter is much less than the USB/VX-3 cable, but still
much greater than shown in your example picture.

I hate to perform surgery on the VX-3, but I think I will try some
sandpaper and/or file on the smaller connector, and see if I can make
it even smaller, and then see what happens.

I really appreciate everyone's help, especially since it turns out not
to be a chirp problem.

Thanks.

73,

Ken, W8EK