[chirp_users] Thoughts on TH-F6A support and looking for D710 support

David Ranch
Sat Feb 5 14:14:06 PST 2011

Hey Dam,

> Your initial email shows the output of it trying to fetch a name.  I
> want you to edit the name field and show me the output of it trying to
> set it (to see if the radio reports anything different).

When I try to write a memory's name, the new name shows up in the UI and
STDERR shows:
--
PC->D7: MW 0,055,00224040000,0,0,0,0,0,0,08,08,000,000600000,0,0
D7->PC: MW

The Radio-->Upload to Radio option is greyed out (expected as this is a
"live" radio)

If I restart the chirp program, the memory name is missing in UI after
the radio memory load as well as STDERR:
--
D7->PC: N
PC->D7: MR 0,055

Interestingly enough, the memory NAME *is* programmed into the radio!
Tthis seems to be a display bug in the UI and STDERR.

> Yeah, a lot of people want to be able to script interaction with the
> radio so that they can automate a base station.

That's cool!  I wish the D710 could do this via the TNC connection but
it actually requires a second serial connection to the base to control
the frequency control.  Grrrr...

Btw... few more things to report on the TH-F6A:

1) I cannot save the download memories.  The File --> Save and "Save As"
are greyed out.  Maybe these options aren't used as there is Radio -->
"Export to" ?

2) By default, when downloading the memories on a THF6A, it downloads
memories 0-399 but displays 0-25.  If I change the "Memories Memory
range" to say
0-399 and click on go, it re-downloads  all 400 memories which takes a
long time.  This re-download should be suppressed.

3) If I try to edit an entry, say memory slot 55, and I type in a
repeater name and then hit enter, I get a dialog box saying "Error
setting memory: Frequency
0.000000 is out of range."  It then proceeds to re-read the entire
radio's memory which take a while (this re-download should be
suppressed.  The UI should either require the user to enter in the
frequency FIRST or it should let the user enter in the memory's name but
not upload the name it until a frequency is also entered in.

4) I'm also curious, I imagine that these LIVE radios are using NVRAM
which has limited writes before the memory will begin to fail.  Is it
wise to send lots of little writes like this vs. suppress all updates
until the data set is complete?

5) When I was doing some testing (I think I accidentally tried to write
to an empty memory slot:
--
Exception running RadioJob: 54
-- Exception: --

6) I've also seen error like the following where chirp is working fine
and then it breaks.  Notice that the radio's name in STDERR goes from D7
to E7 which might be expected but I'm not sure.
--
PC->D7: MR 0,357
D7->PC: N
-- Exception: --
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/archive/Chirp/chirp-0.1.11b4/chirpui/common.py", line
70, in
execute
    result = func(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/archive/Chirp/chirp-0.1.11b4/chirp/kenwood_live.py", line
129, in get_memory
    raise errors.RadioError("Unexpected result returned from radio")
RadioError: Unexpected result returned from radio
------
Job Args:   (359,)
Job KWArgs: {}
PC->D7: MR 0,360
E7->PC: E
E't sure what to do with this: `E
Exception running RadioJob: Unexpected result returned from radio
-- Exception: --
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/archive/Chirp/chirp-0.1.11b4/chirpui/common.py", line
70, in
execute
    result = func(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/archive/Chirp/chirp-0.1.11b4/chirp/kenwood_live.py", line
129, in get_memory

6) Erasing say memory #55 grey's out the entry in the UI and the status
field gets stuck on "[1] Erasing memory 55".  Nothing happens to the
radio's memory.