[chirp_users] CHIRP 0.1.9b5

Dan Smith
Tue Mar 10 17:41:15 PDT 2009

> You put out more free software than ANY of us combined.  You
> definitely don't have to apologize for ANYTHING!  (GRIN)

Heh, okay :)

> I don't know if you'd heard, but the new Icom rigs coming that hit
> the FCC database this last week -- one of their goals was to unify
> the programming software between the new mobile and the new HT.  Of
> course, there will always be plenty of us out here with the other
> rigs, but thought I'd mention it.

Yep, I heard.  I'll be glad to take a look at them if/when I can get my
hands on a pair.

> They've tasked RT Systems with writing software that will handle both
> the ID-880H mobile and the ID-80 one-band at a time/dual-band HT...
> or whatever they're actually called when they hit the U.S. market.
>
> It will be interesting to see if the software is "translating" and
> the two rigs actually don't speak the same standard, or if they're
> identical "under the hood" on the serial line.

Yep, it will be very interesting.  The ID-880 looks very similar to the
800 and the handheld looks just like a 91.  So, I'd expect them to both
behave like their ancestors, but you never know...

dsmith#danplanet.com, s/#/@/