[chirp_users] CSV Import

Dave Cooley
Wed Nov 26 10:12:59 PST 2008

Dan,

Also I would agree that bypassing a single error may not be in the best
interest when that one record turns out to be the one you need.  I am okay
with athe all or none approach. I think the information that is writen to
the debug log would be more then sufficient to explain the problem and where
to go to fix it. I don't know how hard it is to take that information and
send it to an Error Window.  When I finally looked in the debug log every
line that had erronious data displayed as "in error". This made it very easy
to correct.
Not sure what can be done without major work, but this is just my
experience. Hopefully this same type of logic check can be performed in all
imprt functions for DRATS and Chirp.

Thanks Dan and Happy Turkey Day

Dave
N4DIB

-----Original Message-----
From: chirp_users-bounces at lists.danplanet.com
[mailto:chirp_users-bounces at lists.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Dan Smith
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:29 PM
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] CSV Import

> Thanks for the clarification. I don't need to use this file it was
> only for testing. I will delete it and make a new one from the current
> version. The logical "File Format Compare" step would be
> extreeeeeeeeemely helpful. You get my vote. This goes for import
> overlays as well. Hint Hint I spent the better part of 4 hours running
> down an invisible entry (space) in a csv file for the map import only
> to discover through the debug that it was trying to import to many
> fields.

Yep, I know.  That's one nice thing about the .chirp format, it's much
harder to break just because of a misplaced character.

Right now, it behaves as it does because it's hard to decide how tolerant I
should be of errors in the file.  For example, if one CSV line is bad, but
the rest are okay, should I throw an error on the first and give up?  Should
I go on and parse the rest?

Now that I hear how some of you are using it, I think the former might be
better than the (current) latter approach.  If you've got multiple errors,
you'll see the first.  If you correct it and try to import again, you'll see
the second one, etc.

> I hate to sound windowish, but an error messsage would be of great
> help in these circumstances.

Showing error messages isn't a Windows trait.  There is no shame in that...
:)

Throwing up an intelligent error box is not quite as trivial as it sounds in
many cases, mostly because of where it has to happen in the
code to make sense and avoid breaking things when you're not running in
a GUI.

Thanks Dave :)

dsmith#danplanet.com, s/#/@/

Internal Virus Database is out of date.